Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Work Study for Law Students

The Federal Work-study Program is designed for students who have demonstrated financial need. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required.

Work-study awards are compensation for work and are paid through your employer's payroll system. Completion of time sheets and appropriate tax forms are required. Your employer will set your pay rate, however the earned amount cannot exceed your award amount. 

Work-Study Requests

If you are interested in work-study employment, contact the Law School Financial Aid Office. At this time, our funds are very limited and we cannot guarantee an award. The majority of awards are given to students working in the Free Legal Aid Clinic. 

Summer Savings Expectation

Federal financial aid regulations stipulate that a portion of your full-time summer work-study earnings must be used to meet educational expenses during the following academic year if you are not enrolled for summer classes. The amount, known as the “savings expectation,” is determined by subtracting taxes and job related costs from your gross earnings.*

The amount of the savings expectation must be included as a resource in your financial aid package for the next academic year. To determine your financial aid need for the next academic year, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for that year must be on file in the Law School Office of Student Finncial Aid.

*Please access the form titled “Summer Work-study Adjustment Request,” which is located on the Forms page of this website, for taxes and job related costs information and for an example of how the savings expectation is included in you budget.

Note: If you will enroll in summer courses, the "savings expectation" does not apply.


Law students may find employment through the on-campus law clinics, the Free Legal Aid Clinic (FLAC) or in administrative offices.

Tax forms and other paperwork to be paid through the WSU payroll system, must be completed in the Law School Business Office, Suite 3305. If you are continuing employment, this paperwork must be submitted at the beginning of each Fall and Summer semester.

First-year Law Students

The Law School complies with ABA standards, which prohibit full-time first-year students from working. For that reason, the Law School Financial Aid Office does not offer work-study awards to first-year students until the first two semesters of study are completed.


Internship standards provide that interns may not receive credit for participation in a field placement for which the intern receives compensation. 

Guide to Student On-Campus Employment